Why? That’s today’s question

Thanks to splendid reporting Sunday in the Democrat-Gazette by Michael Wickline, I will spend today on the phone seeking to develop a column for Wednesday’s online-only incarnation about:

Why Arkansas state legislators require any kind of travel to Turkey at a cultural exchange program’s expense.

Why Rep. Justin Harris of West Fork, the mixer of church and state for preschool children, would tell Facebook that he would take such a trip — to Turkey, I mean — but not abide by the state law to tell state government and its taxpayers.

Why right-wing Republicans professing small government and reduced spending seem to be the leading trip-takers on the tabs of private hosts. Eddie Williams of Cabot, for example, is a man on the go, spouting that spending restraint and government reform as he hops on another plane for a distant sojourn on somebody’s dime.

Why we need Regnat Populus 2012 and its intiated act.

16 Responses to 'Why? That’s today’s question'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Why? That’s today’s question'.

1. Why don’t u research 20,000more state employees in AR than in Kansas … State w similar population? Will send u a spreadsheet

Janet crow

12 Mar 12 at 8:21 am

2. They,( Ar GOP) are using the Coersive Utopian argument liberals use,

mike graves

12 Mar 12 at 9:21 am

3. Thank goodness no Democrats do such things…..OH I forgot about Pelosi’s private jet flying her home to California many times. Well at least the Democrat in the white house doesn’t do it….OH I forgot about Michele’s vacation to Spain and many other vacations at taxpayer expense. Not justifying any politician dipping into the public till for extravagant travel….whether they be Republican or Democrat. I say throw them all out and tighten up the policies so it can’t happen again. And term limits on everyone. Nobody should be able to stay in office longer than the president.

Jerry Mounts

12 Mar 12 at 9:33 am

4. jerry loves the “mommy, they did it, too” defense. democrats took these trips, of course. more republicans did, and fewer reported them as required by law, at least in most recent records, or at least as concerned a turkish fun holiday that was the lead item in a sunday d-g article. michelle’s vacation to spain is quite irrelevant to an arkansas state legislative junket story. some people need to try to get past obama every once in a while. they’re obsessed with the man, it seems.

12 Mar 12 at 10:47 am

5. I believe Jerry agrees with you John, he did say that both parties are guilty and that they should all be thrown out and tighten up the rules with term limits. I think he was just trying to show the lack of coverage with your story to include both parties. I do not think he was defending anyone. Quite whinning!

DANNY

12 Mar 12 at 12:09 pm

6. i don’t believe he agrees with me. i know i don’t agree with him, or with you. this has become kind of a false symmetry or fairness — to say both parties are guilty, even if one party is more guilty than the other. if the electric coops treat 10 legislators to a junket, and if seven are republicans, then 7 is more than 3, especially when a couple of republicans took their spouses. see? personal responsibility. that’s what we’re after. that’s what this “they did it, too” defense — now there’s real whining for you — avoids. thank you for posting, though.

12 Mar 12 at 12:31 pm

7. John – I thought I did agree with you at least partially. I think if you would read my response like Danny did you would see I was after both parties. I guess where I don’t agree with you is that I very seldom see you criticize anything a democrat does. BUT I will admit I am a “little” biased. I’m not whining but only looking for you and me to call out both parties. They are to blame….both of them. And you aren’t my Mommy .. you are my cousin. Later.

Jerry Mounts

12 Mar 12 at 1:46 pm

8. it’s such a clever trick, saying a guy ought to criticize both sides. but limbaugh said what limbaugh said. republicans took these junkets. let’s assess those on their individual demerits. and i’ve criticized democrats plenty, most recently blaming them more than republicans for silly gridlock at fiscal session. but i don’t impose some arbitrary symmetry under the false premise of fairness and balance. thank you for posting, please let us hear from you again.

12 Mar 12 at 2:02 pm

9. I wish I was as clever as you think I am. I guess I just miss the columns where you criticize Democrats. I did criticize Limbaugh on his comments and I did (in my response) criticize both parties for those junkets. I must have missed your criticism of Bill Maer and of the Obama’s for all their public travel junkets or of Ms. Pelosi used of the US government plane for her trips home. I enjoy our discussions and hope you continue to respond.

Jerry Mounts

12 Mar 12 at 8:21 pm

10. alas, we are saying the same thing over and over again. you should read my columns. it would enhance the relevance of our discussions.

12 Mar 12 at 8:57 pm

11. I read all that are free….just can’t get on the subscription site. I stand corrected if you have been criticizing Democrats and Republicans alike. Peace cousin.

Jerry Mounts

12 Mar 12 at 9:03 pm

12. peace back at you. none is free. don’t confuse these free blog posts with the newspaper columns. you don’t know what you’re missing.

12 Mar 12 at 9:55 pm

13. Your column is great sir, but the rest of the paper isn’t worth the subscription price. Not sure how long I want to continue getting fleeced, but if it’s any consolation your space there is the main reason I haven’t quit.

Delta2

13 Mar 12 at 10:51 am

14. that’s simply incorrect, celta2. there is uncommon quality in that paper. but i guess you really can’t argue taste and opinion.

John Brummett

13 Mar 12 at 12:14 pm

15. Sorry if I’m underwhelmed, but I’ll keep reading it for now. At least a few select portions.

Delta2

13 Mar 12 at 2:18 pm

16. Hey, John Brummett, I read what you said about detouring around Miss and Alabam, I feel your pain, I can longer drive any further west than Lockesburg because of comments I made about Nashvilles beloved rival Dequeen

mike graves