Feedback on hate and kiss-ins

My Sunday column on the chicken and sexuality brouhaha generated considerable response, some curious from the right and some seemingly substantive from the gay and lesbian community.

So let’s use the blog to follow up.

Down near the bottom of that column, I wrote that, yes, hatred was surely a factor in some people’s rush to buy the chain’s chicken on Wednesday.

So I’m getting all these emails from people accusing me of accusing them of hate.

I didn’t name anybody. I can’t see into individual hearts. I asserted a mere “factor,” not a universal condition.

It’s the same principle by which race is cited as a factor in the aversion to President Obama, and people get fired up and think they’ve been individually called racists.

This is kind of a megalomaniacal condition.

Maybe they doth protest too much.

Meantime, gay and lesbian respondents have been telling me I missed the mark. They say the demonstration of hostilities toward Chick-fil-A has little to do with the mere comments of the chief executive officer, but everything to do with the company’s charitable arm that has long given money to extreme groups that encourage unfairness and worse toward gays.

Well, OK. If they say so. The first Chick-fil-A kiss-in I knew about was Saturday.

Posted in National

14 comments

14 Responses to 'Feedback on hate and kiss-ins'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Feedback on hate and kiss-ins'.

1. As you point out, gay is the new Black.

Marjorie Armstrong

6 Aug 12 at 11:07 am

2. RE: “the company‚Äôs charitable arm that has long given money to extreme groups that encourage unfairness and worse toward gays”

Here is a question. How come every time a conservative advocacy group like Family Life, Focus on the Family, etc. is mentioned, it is “extreme” but when LGBT advocacy groups are mentioned they are not classified as extreme? By the apparent definition of “extreme” used, 90% of all churches and many non-profit organizations would be classified “extreme.”

Keith

6 Aug 12 at 11:52 am

3. some gay advocacy groups are indeed extreme. like the southern baptist convention on the other side. see?

6 Aug 12 at 11:59 am

4. Since you bring up the topic of hate, what strikes me as funny about this is the hate coming from the left. They “preach” tolerance and acceptance, BUT as soon as someone has a point of view they don’t agree with they attack and start throwing around accusations of hatred and bigotry. Am I the only one who sees the irony here? If you need to see some examples, search Twitter feeds from last Wed.

Anon

6 Aug 12 at 12:54 pm

5. Okay. I withdraw my first Reply. I guess that I was too strong for the innocent liberals. Come on though jbrummett, is there not a conviction between your ears? Why select Southern Baptist Convention for your scorn? Even you can be a relatively decent writer until you start running around exposing yourself as a Yankee Liberal. (or is that “hateful language?” May I start over in a more gentle way and try to correct my language to fit the mandates of The Demo-Zette. “When that first one came out of the closet, society should have been more alert and sought help for the poor soul. (is that a slur?) I do not think that these misguided people have a place in our heterosexual society. (is that an attack of discrimination?)

Glenn Buercklin, Sr.

6 Aug 12 at 1:05 pm

6. Hmmm . . . You can’t see into “individual hearts” (I’m pretty sure that’s the only kind there are anyway), yet are capable of asserting “hatred was surely a factor.” You have to be able to do the first some way or another before you can do the second.

Lee

6 Aug 12 at 1:06 pm

7. Come on, John. You make an “assumption” that race is a factor. You must also assume it is s significant factor in order to mention it. You them protect your bigoted position using the asinine comparative of megalomania? You should have been a lawyer.
    Get a clue. Many normal people who go to work and care for their families day in and day out MAY be speaking up because of exactly what you do with your words here….you ASSUME “hatred” is at work. Why don’t you consider that the support of a belief is at work. My experience is that there is very little hatred involved. You are mistaking the act of standing up for a belief – and getting demonized for it – for hatred. Get a little deeper in your analysis. Is it possible that you feel a degree of contempt for the “unenlightened masses” of the right? Are you ready to accept that the intolerance of the left just MAY be a factor here? The reactions that I read and hear seem to support that in this case the activist gay/homosexual community is the one “protesting too much”. Don’t be in contempt of me because I am in the “normal” mainstream of society. Open your eyes and move into the objective mode of your profession, sir. Dare to see all sides.

DASHUPS

6 Aug 12 at 1:13 pm

8. http://iowaindependent.com/47947/groups-that-helped-oust-iowa-judges-earn-hate-group-designation

Lots of religious organizations have been labeled as ‘hate groups’ by the Southern Poverty Law Center. The author of this column didn’t mention any particular hate/extreme group.

My personal opinion is ‘don’t start none, won’t be none’…in other words the sooner people start not putting their noses in other peoples bedrooms the sooner all this hatefulness will stop. There are so many way more important things to focus on that it floors me the amount of media attention these kinds of issue get. Whether you are conservative, liberal, right, left, green, purple, whatever do we have nothing better to do as a society that to worry about who is screwing who?

Tammy

6 Aug 12 at 2:07 pm

9. Once again, an Obama apologist swerves into the “racist” theory. Never considering the possibility that those who are in the real world and have to make a living, while our president is arguing that “you didn’t build it”, might find exception to the morass that is 1,000s of pages of legislation. That’s the legislation that appoints non-elected bureaucrats who have yet come up with the final rules and definitions that accompany the rules. This, years after the enactment. Which keeps the $1,000,000,000,000 on the side lines that businesses are afraid to invest because of all the unknowsn. The president who can’t sound competent without a teleprompter. The president who chortles at those who “cling to guns and bibles”. The president who has flip flopped on health care and immigration enough to be considered a er a distant relative of John Kerry. As in “I voted for it before I voted against it”. Using the race or hate card is a cheap and lazy way to work as a journalist. It’s much easier to play to your own crowd while provoking those who disagree which increases readership and name recognition and sells papers or grows the blog site. Come on John, act like an adult. How about a mature adult? How about tackling something that requires a little research and thought. A good place, in light of Gov Beebe’s plan for increasing our commitment to state Medicad coverage, would be to write on the Ravitch and Volker report on the Trillion dollar hole as a result of state medicad cost, and state employee retirement and health care commitments. What do you say? Are you up for some quality investigative journalism?

Walleye

6 Aug 12 at 2:28 pm

10. These comments are funny. Why is there so much hooplah about a fast food company choosing to discriminate?
    Oh yea, descrimination is wrong. Our country is not supposed to do that. Unless it is about those homos. But, that would be homophobic.
    All this he said, he said stuff is really confusing. I wish there were some higher power to do all this judging for me. It is just too confusing.
    Oh yea, isn’t that what God is supposed to do?
    Jesus would sure give them trouble makers a what fer!
    I wonder which ones?

Walter Graupner

6 Aug 12 at 3:45 pm

11. Tammy’s on it. Why should I be tortured by something said by somebody who is literally 1000 miles away and/or figuratively a million miles away from my community? We are reasonable people who can manage to get along with each other, even have sex with each other, even though we’re different, IF we aren’t owned by those imaginary things that are a million miles away…like advocacy groups, conventions, Medicaid, “racism”, “anti-racism”, “society”, god, heterosexuality, Chicken chains, “the economy”, political parties, and presidents…those are all maniacal, ideological fantasies (akaBS) that we give the power to make our everyday decisions using sweeping generalizations from narrow perspectives, instead of making up our own mind about individuals we meet every day. We let those imaginary things tell us how to act…that’s why both sides look like hateful clowns…they’re not acting like humans to each other, they’re acting like puppets of ideologies. It’s funny. It would be sad, but most people are catching on that we all just want other people off our backs and you do that by getting off everybody else’s back. So it’s really pretty fun to watch it go away, and to watch the last few clowns putting on the greatest shows ever! Props like rainbows and demonstrations like showing how electrical cords don’t fit together. Not that the clowns are wrong. They had their place and time, right? It has to get absurd before it goes a way, maybe?

norgi

6 Aug 12 at 3:46 pm

12. This is a liberal plot to get right wing, religious nut jobs to go to bad restaurants. I learn that tobacco companies are against gay marriage, ya need to smoke up.

tom mason

7 Aug 12 at 1:06 pm

13. giving to right wing “radical” groups? What can be more radical than Planned Parenthood which is the number one abortion provider on the planet which the left equates with the United Way.

Ray

8 Aug 12 at 12:34 pm

14. If we would simply spend our money like each bill is a vote, then good businesses with the same goals as us would flourish. I don’t have the same goals as Chick man so I won’t eat there. I don’t know every company’s views but if they are transparent, then I know. In this case, I won’t vote to keep Chick-fil-a in business so my dollar will vote somewhere else.

Barbara Rifkin