And now introducing Dustin McDaniel . . .

I wrote the other day that, if I were a betting man and got the right odds, I’d put money on Attorney General Dustin McDaniel’s becoming our next governor.

So I’m glad I’m not a betting man.

A strange thing has just happened that has profound implications for the future of Arkansas.

Let’s start with last night: Reporters and columnists and bloggers and such got emails enclosing interrogatories in a divorce and custody case in Garland County. Fred Day, a podiatrist, was directing some choice queries to his estranged wife, lawyer Andi Davis, who is seeking a divorce from him.

One of the queries was whether she would admit to a sexual relationship with, among others, Dustin McDaniel in 2011 or 2012.

Her lawyer replied that this was an inappropriate question having nothing to do with the issues of the case.

So, this morning, a couple of blogger types inquired directly about this to McDaniel, who hauled off and put out a statement saying, yep, oops, did it.

I would have expected him to say instead that he was not going to respond to rumors in a personal matter.

Well, what he actually said was that he made Andi Davis’ acquaintance in the campaign of 2010 and had a limited relationship with her in 2011 that extended into inappropriateness.

He said he loved his wife and had ‘fessed up to her and that they had prayed and were moving on. He apologized to the people of the state, several of whom probably don’t feel personally harmed.

He said he was still running for governor.

Not as well, though.

He had already raised in excess of a million dollars to try to scare off Democratic primary opposition to fortify himself as the Last Democratic Hope in 2014, likely against Asa Hutchinson.

At the moment, I figure the completion of the Republican revolution is more likely than was the case moments before  — a completion that could be achieved in 2014 with the capture of the governor’s office.

Bill Halter perhaps benefits, but that’s not good news for the Democrats in a general election.

I’m not saying a lone sexual miscue is politically fatal. Of course it isn’t. I’m saying McDaniel is in the process of introducing himself to the state, really, and this is not the best way.

It’s been my experience that people are interested in sex stories.

13 Responses to 'And now introducing Dustin McDaniel . . .'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'And now introducing Dustin McDaniel . . .'.

1. Hey, he still likes guns.

Delta2

18 Dec 12 at 12:48 pm

2. This was not merely a personal lack of judgement moment that none of us are exempt from. This was THE Chief Legal Officer of the state with another Licensed, Practicing Attorney.

This shows not merely a lack of moral fortitude but a lack of integrity for the legal profession. This could have much deeper implications than a personal matter.

Jerry Halsell

18 Dec 12 at 1:22 pm

3. You know, now that I think about it, Asa should step aside and let Brother Tim run for Gov. Then we could really have a race.

Delta2

18 Dec 12 at 2:11 pm

4. Why aren’t guys like this who get caught with their penises in the cookie jar man enough to stand up and say, “Yes, I did it and I had fun doing it, and will do it again given half a chance.” Maybe then we’d have some respect for them. As it is, the prayer rugs come out once they’re caught, and they start bleating about being sorry. Add Dustin to the list of hypocrites.

Arkansas Woman

19 Dec 12 at 11:48 am

5. As I was reading that the lawyerette had been quoted as saying “I’m proud of my boobs,” it occurred to me that she might have been talking about her boyfriends.

Jay Wills

19 Dec 12 at 12:12 pm

6. ANOTHER ONE OF BRUMMETTS BELOVED DEMOCRATS

baggerdude

19 Dec 12 at 12:21 pm

7. He did not volunteer the info until it was leaked to the press- which means he was attempting to keep it quiet. Is McDaniel that naive? He thought he could have sexual relations- opps sorry that should say “limited” relations (did Bill write this news release?) with a fellow lawyer and not get found out while he was running for GOVERNOR?? And this woman has been photographed in handcuffs at her home where a dead man was found in her front yard. Oh, and she likes to were provocative clothing to court and has been warned by a judge about it. You can’t make this stuff up. And we are supposed to feel OK about it because the 2nd Mrs. McDaniel has forgiven him. I would be really interested to know how the 1st Mrs. McDaniel feels about it. McDaniel’s goose has been cooked. He’s done.

MAS

19 Dec 12 at 5:42 pm

8. In no way do I approve of McDaniel’s behavior, baggerdude, but please don’t forget that there are at least as many philandering Republicans as Democrats. It seems to be a pervasive problem. Do only the Democratic ones bother you? Google for ” Republicans guilty of sexual misconduct” and the list will be so long you won’t have time to read up on all of them.
    This is a deplorable thing that has come to light, for several reasons. Is your concern only that he is a Democrat? Are you related to T6, whose first reaction on the ADG site was to throw stones at Democrats?

Paula

19 Dec 12 at 5:44 pm

9. What is surprising everyone is that a politician had the fortitude to answer honestly a direct question!! Not getting any of that from the Emperor in Washington. Dance around or avoid most subjects entirely or blame it on a past administration.
    Not saying what he did was right but that he answered openly and honestly and it sounds like he told his wife long before it came out and they are dealing with it. We should let them work it out their way and not criticize how they do that.
    When Bill FINALLY owned up to his little fling, we let him work it out with Hilary and they seemed to survive. I bet he had a pretty good concussion after that one huh?

Danny

19 Dec 12 at 9:21 pm

10. Who cares, that’s 2 years from now. What about People struggling to survive on Social Security Getting the cost of living raises cut. Does anybody have the balls to tell me Why poor people and old people Have to pay for Greedy fat cat rich peoples foolishness? I mean really!! How dare of us What’s the Walton family to give up that ninth house To keep poor people from eating dog food are not buying medicine so they can pay the electric bill.

tom mason

20 Dec 12 at 12:06 am

11. It’s not the affair that I care about. It’s the idea that our AG/potential governor hangs around the likes of this woman. It’s the conflict of interest that should be on our minds. It’s one thing to be flinging around w a staffer or just some girl you met on the campaign trail. But you might want to rethink dalliances with a competing lawyer in a case. And the dead guy thing makes it about four hundred x creepier. I’m a registered democrat but I will be withholding my vote for governor if he is the nominee. He’s a liability for democrats in a state that is already been taken over by republicans. We don’t have to settle for this as our candidate. The primary hasn’t even started.

Meg

20 Dec 12 at 12:29 am

12. I read through most of the comments and agree with many–and whole heartedly agree with Meg. Why would we want someone who exhibits such POOR judgement–didn’t he do this in his first marriage? NO moral compass–I am sure his kids will love reading about this. Even though he was not involved in the cases it still is hard for me to believe this would not be an ethics violation–well if he had any that is!!

Deb

21 Dec 12 at 3:58 pm

13. Do we know for a fact that he cheated in his first marriage? I don’t know that we’ve established that. Still, an affair with opposing counsel, even though he may not have been directly involved in the case, is poor judgement for sure.

Delta2