Here’s what I propose on the Benghazi matter:
1. We accept that American foreign service in this crazy world is dangerous and that no one running the State Department for any president of any party ever knowingly or deliberately neglected he security of it citizens in this noble service
2. We accept that tragedy happens in this crazy world.
3. We understand that mistakes are made and blame must be assigned and responsibility taken.
4. Once responsibility has been taken, as is the case with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, apparently a hard and diligent and competent worker most days, our focus should be on assessment and improvement, not recrimination and partisan political exploitation.
5. And we can agree that the scariest thought offered today in Washington was when Rand Paul said. ” If I had been president. . . “