Cotton on a shutdown — UPDATE/UH-OH

I am at work on an online-only column for Wednesday about this crazed right-wing Republican notion to shut down the government after Sept. 30 unless spending on Obamacare is taken out of any continuing budget.

But I’ll go ahead and tell you this much: I saw that 71 House members had said they would not vote for continued funding if Obamacare was contained in it, so I asked Caroline Rabbitt, press secretary to our ultra-rightist Tom Cotton, if he was among the 71.

She replied: “Well, since you didn’t send me the story you’re referencing it’s a bit difficult to comment on it…. I would assume you mean 71 signers of a letter to leadership about defunding Obamacare. If I am correct then your answer is that he generally prefers consulting with colleagues in person, rather than joining letters. But he strongly supports all efforts to defund, delay and ultimately repeal Obamacare, regardless the legislative approach.”

So what one might surmise — what seems clear — is that, yeah, Cotton would shut down the government — that presumably covered by “strongly supports all efforts … regardless the legislative approach” — which even Paul Ryan says is misguided because all it would do is stop discretionary spending, not entitlements, including Obamacare.

A gaggle of Republican governors pleaded just today with Republicans in the House not to do this.

But Rabbitt responds to say I couldn’t reasonably come to that conclusion from what she said. She wrote in followup, “I am not sure how you can make that claim based on my answer. I think you are inferring something based on what you want to be true, not what I actually said.”

I do not want anyone to support a government shutdown.

Perhaps she means she thinks I want Cotton to take an outrageous position. Make that — another outrageous position.

So let’s conclude here: Rabbitt stopped short of specifically declaring Cotton’s support for a shutdown.

I’m just honored she replied. Usually she ignores me.

UPDATE-UH/OH: OK, Ms. Rabbitt emails again to say, and I quote:  “Congressman Cotton doesn’t want a government shutdown, nor does anyone else in his party. Only Barack Obama is threatening a shutdown. They’ve talked about not voting for a CR that funds Obamacare — the shutdown is just inferred, like you did to me earlier.”

Alas, she and I can’t seem to get clear on this, because now I infer that she just told me sure-as-shootin’ that Tommy gonna vote with Cruz, Paul and the other extremists for a shutdown unless Obamacare taken out, as of course it won’t be on account of being the law.

More to come between now and Nov. 4, 2014.

14 Responses to 'Cotton on a shutdown — UPDATE/UH-OH'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Cotton on a shutdown — UPDATE/UH-OH'.

1. Thought provoking column,glad youre back at blog
    after watching Farenheit 911,I think about as much of W Bush as i do Obama- no wonder were so dysfunctional

mike graves

5 Aug 13 at 1:34 pm

2. Lord that’s rude, specially from a first-term nobody. You’ve dealt with the giants: Clinton, McClellon, Pryor etc. Have you ever been treated this shoddily and you’ve said some mighty strident things?

x Wasson

5 Aug 13 at 3:49 pm

3. only people ever treated me this bad were hillary and janet huckabee.

5 Aug 13 at 4:38 pm

4. […] By jbrummett […]

5. John, you know the Republicans are strong believers in Democracy, that is until it gets in the way of what they want. Then, a Republican dictator is OK with them.

timber topper

6 Aug 13 at 1:11 pm

6. Amazing how u slam conservatives and give passes to socialists.

Kev

6 Aug 13 at 1:12 pm

7. So Kev, you are against social security, medicare, police depts., fire depts, public schools, highways, etc., all socialist enterprises.

Richard

6 Aug 13 at 1:39 pm

8. I know you think you understood what I said, but what I said isn’t what I meant.

Bill Kennamer

6 Aug 13 at 2:04 pm

9. Kev:
    In what way is it socialist to give private companies the way to become the only health insurance providers? Seems to me that’s capitalism to the extreme.

Bill Kennamer

6 Aug 13 at 2:06 pm

10. I retiring soon. John, can you give me any pointers on becoming a political hack writer? It seems like a really easy way to make some extra money. Don’t have to really know anything, just say outrageous things and get people in an uproar. Easy enough – I like it.

Harry Thomas

6 Aug 13 at 2:14 pm

11. John, to simply say that I am embarrassed by what we’ve sent to Washington to represent us are a bunch of children no smarter than 5th graders would be grossly understating the problem! For our citizenry to be buying into all the lies, distortions, misrepresentations, contrived scandals and false budget catastrophes is almost criminal but I wonder if anyone came forward to offer the truth if it would be believed at this point? What ever happen to journalists, reporters, editors, news anchors and correspondents who were interested in informing, educating and enlightening the general public? At the same time we have politicians throwing around words like: Socialists, Marxists, Tyrants, as if it were just loose change to be discarded at the end of the day. Do people not realize while Congress plays games with the ACA over half of the citizenry in Arkansas could be negatively impacted (which equates to your brother, sister, mother, father, grandfather, grandmother, aunt, uncle or cousin) and we’ve been waiting on JOBS legislation since November 2010! Do people not realize when we buy into a statement like “Cut Government down to size” that’s not just the people in Washington, D.C. but that includes: Teachers, Police officers, Fire-Fighters, Courts, Municipal and County workers?

Nathaniel McGee

6 Aug 13 at 3:03 pm

12. Hey Howard county Native John Brummett,I just ate a howard county white peach and it was better than an elberta

mike graves

6 Aug 13 at 4:33 pm

13. Richard: you are wrong with part of your assertions: I can agree that Social Security and Medicate are socialist programs created by democrats. Social Security is a governmentally created and enforced “pyramid program.” Which, if initiated by a private individual or group of individuals, under federal and state law is illegal.

This program at one time had a surplus of funds and these funds would have provided benefits far longer in the future that is now expected because the surplus is gone. President Johnson’s “Great Society” was basically a mask so that the surplus in the Social Security System could be used to expand or provided for new federal programs and agencies with the pretension of expanding health and income benefits to the disabled poor – none of whom have paid anything into the program.

As for police, fire departments and highways, these are local government entities that are authorized under the “police power’ of either the state or towns and cities. The funding for these are created by sales taxes.

Dean Patterson